You have been injured in a automobile accident in Washington, DC, and you are at a loss. Not sure what to do next? The most important thing you can do after receiving medical attention is to contact a Washington DC personal injury lawyer, and have the entire process laid out for you from start to finish. Doing a Google search is going to be your best bet, as most attorneys who have been practicing for some time have invested in an informative website. You can see reviews of the different attorneys, as well as specific practice areas. You want to find an attorney that specializes in personal injury in the District. A bankruptcy attorney or divorce lawyer is not going to do you much good.
When you have narrowed down your list of attorneys, you also want to drill down into the lawyers area of expertise. For example, Michael Bruckheim is a personal injury lawyer in DC, and he specializes in truck accidents and other automobile accidents. You will see on his website that he has many years of experience in just this area of law, and has been through many trials. You want to find a legal representative that is willing to take your case to trial, not be so quick to settle outside of the court system. You have been injured, and you deserve your day in court. Don't settle for someone that is quick to settle just so he or she can make a quick payday. A quality attorney will explain all of this to you in your initial consultation.
Here is a quick checklist you can use to determine which personal injury attorney in Washington DC is best for you and your case.
- How long has your DC personal injury attorney been practicing?
- What type of office does your potential attorney keep?
- Can your attorney explain the process in easy to understand terms?
- How will your automobile accident attorney be paid?
* As mentioned before, the experience of your attorney is crucial to your success. While it is fair to say that each attorney must start somewhere, you don't want your Washington DC personal injury attorney to be right out of law school with no experience. This is your financial future, and you have to find a lawyer that is going to make sure there is nothing left on the table at the time of trial or settlement. You deserve the best representation possible. Make sure you attorney has been down this road before.
* The office of your attorney is a tell-tale sign of the type of representation you are going to receive. In this case, you want to see the fancy office and professional staff. Your case is going to be based on a contingency, so getting a top tier lawyer is vital. Don't settle for the guy working out of his home office that has been practicing law for a year and a half. Appearance matters because how you appear to the jury is going to matter as well.
* You want an attorney who can explain the entire process in simple to understand terms. A top-tier Washington DC personal injury attorney is going to take the time to explain it to you properly, and leave no stone unturned. You are fighting for your financial future, and your attorney has to be able to explain it as simply as possible.
* If you have been in an automobile accident, you want to make sure that you are getting the best legal representation, and it is going to cost you some money. If your case is not frivolous, you are going have your attorney work on a contingency basis. This is extremely beneficial to both you and the attorney. You pay nothing up front, and the attorney has a reason to provide you with the best representation possible. His paycheck depends on it.
These few tips should give you a good starting point to find the best Washington DC personal injury lawyer. Check out the videos below of what we believe are to be some of the best choices in the Washington, DC area.